Monday, July 15, 2013

Spring Breakers



  I felt my first film review on my new blog should have been horror related but than the movie Spring Breakers happened. I am a huge Harmony Korine fan, honestly Gummo is one of my top 10 favorite movies so since than I became a fan of Harmony's work. I really enjoy his outlook and the rawness in his films. Yes after watching his films I feel like I need a shower but I think that's a good thing.
  I didn't know anything about Spring Breakers because it's been a few years since he has put out a full length film so I had no idea that he had a new one coming out and honestly the name of the film would have thrown me off. My Mister call me the other day from work and told me that there was a new Harmony Korine film and so I had to find it and watch it, our library ended up having it.  I was super stoked. 
  I can say that it's totally a Harmony film because it gave me the feeling of needing to shower afterwards. I was surprised at the cast but very pleased. It stars James Franco, Ashley Benson (I am a huge Pretty Little Liars fan), Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez and Rachel Korine. Four girls, Faith, Brit, Candy and Cotty want to go on spring break in Florida but they don't have the money but after Brit and Candy rob a restaurant they do. Once at spring break it is all parting, drinking, drugs and stupidity. They all end up getting arrested at a party that gets out of hand and a rapper named Alien (James Franco) bails them out. First Faith leaves because she is uncomfortable with Alien and his lifestyle. Cotty ends up being shot in a drive by after a run in with Alien's rival Big Arch so she returns home but Brit and Candy decide to stay. Now that it's just Alien and the two girls of course a sexual relationship between the three of them starts up and they decide they need to get revenge on Big Arch. It's not a great story line at all but it is good for what it is, I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again very soon. It's silly and makes you laugh. If your a Harmony Korine fan check it out and I'm sure you'll love it. It's worth a watch.

No comments: