Monday, March 7, 2016

The Amityville Horror Has Awoken Something

                                   
  I have tried many times to start blogging again but I find that I just couldn't get into it. It was something I once loved when I ran Slice Into Insanity but than a million things in my life changed and it just wasn't something I felt the need to do anymore. Blogs get boring sometimes and they tend to basically write about the same things over and over so you end up reading the same thing on a few dozen blogs. I mean there are a few that stand out but still. Today was different, something made me feel the need to write for the first time in forever.
  Sundays in my house are for the lazy, 6 days out of the week are busy and full of adult things that need to be done so if we don't have plans or errands to run we stay in our pajamas and watch movies, catch up on TV shows we are watching, play games or some other lazy thing you can do in your pajamas. While cooking breakfast we were trying to figure out what we wanted to waste our time with for the rest of the day and we decided on watching older horror films and The Amityville Horror ended up being our choice. It's something we haven't watched in a while and something we figured would make for a good marathon to past the day with.
  I am going to start with the fact that even though I treat my love for horror films like a religion I had no idea that there are 13 soon to be 14 films in this series. We only own 1-4 and the remake so I guess I dropped the ball somewhere and never looked back plus to be honest when we have watch The Amityville Horror we usually only watch the first one or the remake. The first one is just a great film all around. It has a great storyline, an awesome cast and all around good horror feelings. Even the remake makes for a good time. Basically the same story with a few changes, still has a great feel and I love the casting especially Ryan Reynolds. Who doesn't want to watch the guy who plays Deadpool and is married to the lovely Blake Lively try and kill his family in 1974 in a haunted house. But lets get back on track with where I was going with this rambling post. So we watched the first one and I was happy with our film choice for this Sunday afternoon but than it happened we put on the second one.

  From here on out if you haven't seen the film there are going to be spoilers but I figured if you haven't seen it by now you probably won't care to watch it anyways. At first I was like "ok I remember this one better than I though I would" and I was enjoying it, trying to figure out why we never watch it. Than it clicked. There is a reason I have been avoiding this film. Let me start with the cast, its alright not the worst casting but no one stands out to me except the very adorable Diane Franklin but I have a huge problem with her character and I will get into that in a minute. The story line is good till it gets to a point where it should have just ended but they just keep going and going. If you have seen the first movie you know the deal with the house but no they need to go into the back story and bore the stuffing out of you. Yes I know it's a prequel so they are trying to give you back story but I feel like it's not necessary. I was so annoyed at one point that I just got up did some dishes, took my dogs out and lunch prepped for my hubby just to avoid the rest of the movie. Now my big problem with the story line is this... you have this young man who is in the process of being possessed by an evil spirit. So anything bad he does is explainable, his character becomes a jerk and I get it. If I were to be possessed by a demon I'm pretty sure I'd be a jerk but than it happens he starts banging his sister. I hate incest in horror films especially when the one of the characters doesn't have a problem with it. Yes Sonny is possessed by an evil spirit so of course he doesn't see the wrong in it but than you have his sister who is totally fine with the idea of sleeping with her brother. She even confesses to the Priest basically which makes it even worse in my eyes. Than he starts mistreating her and she gets mad like a jealous girlfriend. Of course the mom realizes what's going on and starts blaming the daughter but doesn't do anything about it. So when it comes down to it I am so glad that Sonny killed off his whole family. You have his over abusive father who should have been punched in the balls, the stupid mother who knows the horrors going on with her kids but does nothing, than you have the sister that has no freaking morals and the two little ones who were collateral damage. Now at this point I wish they would have ended the film, "family's dead the end"but no the Priest has to figure out what the deal is and try and save Sonny. I'm sure it was just me but I did not enjoy this second film and I pray to God that I never grab this film out of my collection to watch ever again. From now on I'm going to go 1 than 3, 2 is dead to me.
  We only watched 1-3 so I guess it's time to move on to number 4 one day soon. Sorry for the random rambling post but I needed to get that off my chest. I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend and now I must give into adult life and do things that need to be done.

No comments: